Monday, May 31, 2010

Here is Devins frame, aka BCII, ready to be glass beaded.
Unfortunately, my two source were both closed today so
as soon as I get back from Maui the painting will begin.
Check out the modified dropouts and seat lug.

Since I had free time, I started on Jimbos frame. What
will we call it? Tricerahopper?, 'nitz to go with his 'nilla?
Any way, I only reworked the bottom bracket and lugs enough to do a rough fit. I'm very pleased, it's gonna work. I will order the
parts for Brians frame tomorrow.

Friday, May 28, 2010

Still filing and sanding on BCII, all the reaming, honing, and seat lug shaping is complete. But, forgot this was a holiday week end and might not be able to get the frame glass beaded. The Thomson Masterpiece seatpost has a bigger diameter than the Precision seatpost, so I reamed and honed twice. But, a good thing to know. Here is another attempt to take decent pics of the finished frames. Still blurry.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Devins frame is all brazed up and ready for hours of
sawing, filing, sanding, reaming, facing, etc.
I really didn't want to post a pic of it in its
ugliest state, but somebody was antsy to see
their sub 4 lb. frame.

What's this? I'm fabbing a set of bars so I can cold set the bottom bracket on Jimbos frame from 60 degrees to 55 between the seat and down tube. The things us men of normal stature have to go through...

Monday, May 17, 2010

As Dylans paint continues to cure, spent some quality time
on Devins rear triangle. The chainstays are brazed in
and here is a rough fit of the right seatstay. Minimal
bends in the seatstays per Devins request. Just enough
room for the tire to clear the brake pad when removing and
installing the wheel. Hope to have the frame ready for glass bead next Monday.

Friday, May 14, 2010

I applied the final clear coat this morning after a big
learning curve on the decals. What finally worked
was using the clear coat as the fixative instead of the
house brand or the recommended Varathane. After
the paint cures, I will sand with 2000 grit paper and
buff any imperfections out.
But, it's a beautiful day, so were going riding.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

All the color is done. next is touch up the paint lines, there was some bleed even though I used the best fine line tape money will buy. Then clearcoat on Monday, apply the decals on Tuesday, then apply two more clear coats next week end.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Enough for today. I'm really liking this color scheme.
Hopefully I can get the white on while Tina is at spin class
tomorrow,then clear on Monday.

And then there was topaz orange. Going to let it cure for a couple of hours and then start masking the lugs and logos. Tina has a girls night tonight, so maybe I can get the powder blue on.

Painting Dylans frame today. I didn't get as early a start as I had wanted to, picking colors can be quite maddening. This is the royal blue for the down tube logo outline, seatstay logos, and down tube demarcation stripes between the white and powder blue. This blue looks lighter than it really is because of the camera flash and it will darken when it is clear coated.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Got Devins front triangle brazed and fitted the chainstays with dropouts.

Here is a possible color scheme for Dylans frame, it's hanging in the rafters and ready to paint. The logo masks are still holding me up. I drove down to the vendor today to see what was going on and they never received my rfq.So I showed them the copy they sent me. They
promised them by this Friday. The seatstays will have the logo in royal blue in a vertical stack.