Sunday, May 27, 2012

Some serious carving going on here. I am free handing them until I like them.

I'll be unable to paint the fillet frame for a few weeks, so I will devote my attention to the rain bike.  I want to emulate Dazzas beautiful Candezia lugs so I need to add some filler for an internal point.
 I don't care for the preformed end on the chainstays, so they will be going.
 I've removed the chainstay bridge and starting the first of many rain drops in the bottom bracket.
I guess this is what a rain drop looks like.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

  The fillets are still a little rough, but the front derailluer cable action is very good.  It's a bit cold out here, so I think I will go in and finalize the drawing for the new rain bike. 

The final brazing is done.  Now off to its final soak.  

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Time to get back to work on my "minimalist" frame, it's been hanging on the wall too long.  I've had trouble sweating on the ss dropout faces because they like to float out of position.  So I borrowed a trick from Dazza and built this rube spring loaded contraption.   I cut the titanium rack and cable mounts off an old frame I built years ago because the silver won't stick to the titanium.  It worked quite well, pics to come.

Fitting up the brake bridge.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

 Ian's cross bike is finished and ready for action.  It came out really well with no chain line or brake fitment issues.  It weighs 18.5 lbs. ready to ride.  Now to wait for the 1.125" Small Blocks to replace the 1.5" micros.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Work has begun on the new rain bike frame. I cut and faced the head tube and sande the lug I.D.s to a slip fit. I do want to sport the new larger head badge, so some of the lug carving will be to give the necessary space. I'm going to add interior points. One I can carve, and the other I will have to add some metal.

 Ian's frame set is finished and looks super!  Now on to the assembly.

Next is to finally finish the curved top tube "smooth" frame and my new rain frame so Sonny can have my current one.

Saturday, May 5, 2012

 The paint came out pretty good.  A few bleeds, mismatches, and tape holidays to take care of, but it looks great.  I think Ian might have a career in the bike industry.


All masked up and ready for some black.

Friday, May 4, 2012

I was cleaning up my paint mess and couldn't resist putting the black on the fork.  I think young Ian has some style about him in his design.
 The white has been applied and looks good.  Unfortunately, I don't have time to start on the black, there's a Bone Yard at the Still House with my name on it.  I always unmask after paint to allow the paint edges relax a little and prevent the tape from imprinting the paint over night.  Once it's clear coated, you really can't see the imprinting, but I know it's there.

The blue is finally on.  I painted larger areas than necessary because  I will make it up as I go on masking for the black and white.

It was just too windy to paint yesterday, with gusts up to 45 mph.  I paint with the garage door partially open for both additional light and ventilation. The wind was disturbing my spray pattern, so I only shot the etch and seal primes which require post sanding any way.  Today looks good though.
I got wrapped around the axle on the blue selection.  I was originally going to go with the bottom one but decide it is too soft of a color and will go with the Brian as it will pop against the black and white much better.  The HFV is too dark.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Let's start painting!