Tuesday, December 30, 2014

After spending a couple of hours detailing Gregs frame set prior to putting on some color, I started fitting up Brodys seat stays.
 These are 14 mm taper seat stays. I'll finish the fitting as soon as I have the brakes, so I can insure pad alignment.
Mark from Roseburg dropped off this fine old FUSO built by Dave Moulton. I just dropped it off for strip, derust, and media blast. It will be refinished in a period correct livery.

Monday, December 22, 2014

I picked up Gregs frame from media blast and applied a coat of etch primer.
 It was just laying there, so I thought I would take a pic.
 While I was waiting for the media blasting and custom color matching, I got Brodys front triangle and chainstays brazed up.
 The old dropout alignment check on Brodys frame.
 The post soak patina caught my eye.

Friday, December 12, 2014

 Starting to set the fixture up for Brodys frame. 72.5', just what the doctor ordered.  
Mitering some tubes.

Monday, December 8, 2014

A test fit of the much modified seat tube lug.
 I silver brazed in the Henry James stainless steel dropouts.

And here they are after soak and ready for a few hours of filing, sanding, and polishing. I will also remove the rearmost eyelet.

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Brodys frame begins to take shape. The seat tube is silver brazed in to the Pacenti Artisan bottom bracket.
Now to start modifying the seat/top tube lug. I removed the binder boss and am shaping filler pieces for the future points.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

 The frame is finished and off to the media blaster.
 Here is the livery for Gregs frame set. It will be Norwegian Blue with Black panels and White accents. The seat tube panel will display Rosemaling art work that he has provided.
So, while we're waiting on Gregs frame, let's start another. This will be Brodys dirt road bike.How about those red cantis? I haven't built a canti equipped frame in years. It'll be sweet!

Monday, December 1, 2014

OK, I'm back. The seat tube is reamed and honed,ready for the 30.9mm seat post.
It's slotted and relieved. The slot is short and close to the lug point. I always ream the the seat tube to a very tight tolerance to the seat post. When the post is installed, the slot doesn't close up, nice and solid, no rocking or buckling.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

 The seat stays and bridges are on and the rear wheel built. Next will be the frame pump pegs.

Thursday, November 13, 2014

The front triangle is brazed up with perfect alignment.
 Fitting up the chain stays.

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Here is the work I got done before I had to take off for California.  The chain stays finally arrived, so I brazed in the dropouts and scalloped them.
 Dimpling them to accommodate big tires.
 This is a 37 mm tire, plenty of room.

Getting ready to silver on the rear derailleur wire port.

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Putting in the internal routing for the the rear brake line.
 While I had the torch out, I silver brazed the stainless steel dropout faces on.
The finished exit port for the brake line.

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Ready to braze in the stainless steel water bottle bosses.
 Cut in a window.
Brazing on the stainless steel Di2 port reinforcements.

Friday, October 17, 2014

 I needed to close up the down tube/seat tube angle a few degrees. Galvanized pipe along with an old Silca body and scrap pieces of tubing does the trick.
 The racking up begins. You can see I've already of the upper lug radius. It just didn't look good once it was placed on the head tube with the lower lug.
 I cut in a small window and removed the brace.
 All silver brazed and filing and sanding out the casting lines.
Done for the day, beer time!
The lugs are 90% finished, I will touch them up as the build proceeds and I obsess about the point lengths and symmetry.  The weight has been reduced from 147 to 109 gms. An ounce is an ounce.

Thursday, October 16, 2014

I brazed the filler on and have rough shaped the point. I will do the final shaping along with the longer front point that I will add later.
 Brians frame set is finished. I just realized it is in the HFV colors. Took me a while, but cool!
 Like those cable guides and polished dropouts.

Showing the seat tube extension I repaired.