Friday, April 29, 2011

Here is the exit point for the rear derailer wiring.  The minimum hole size to clear the tie wraps is 7mm.  There is ample clearance and any skewer interference won't be a problem. I chamfered the inside edge of the hole to stop any unnecessary abrasion damage to the wiring. 
The front triangle is brazed and out of soak.  I anticipate that once the head and seat tubes tube are cut to size along with the stays, the completed frame will weigh around 3.75 lbs. 

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

 The internal wiring looms are here, so let's get busy.  Here is the down tube port with the grommet installed just to see how it looks.  The 7 X 8 mm hole was perfect.  The reinforcement is stainless, so Dan can opt to either polish or paint it.
The front triangle is ready for final sanding and cleaning for silver brazing tomorrow.  When I'm done brazing and the flux is soaked off, I'll weigh it with the uncut S3 seat stays, chain stays, and dropouts to get a rough estimate of final weight.

Monday, April 25, 2011

The front triangle is coming together quite nicely.  I'll fit the down tube tomorrow and hopefully have it already to braze up on Thursday.  Devin called to let me know the internal harnesses are in and he will mail them to me ASAP.  Cool.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

The bottom bracket is brazed to the seat tube and I mocked it up to determine braze-on and wiring port placement.  hope to do the brazing tomorrow. The windows I cut in the bottom bracket saved a mere 7 grams.  Hmm........

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Wills brake tab job is complete, just a little cleaning up to do.  I really got wrapped around the axle determining where and at what angle to place the strut.  There appears to be no standard practice, so I went with an equilateral triangle placed where I thought it looks the best.  I silver brazed the tab on so as to impart as little stress as possible in this thin wall tubing and not reflow the silver brazed dropouts. 

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

This morning I spent some time reworking Dans bottom bracket.  I've got both points and the down tube window roughed out.  I will finish them this afternoon along with the seat tube window.  It will be interesting to see how many grams per hour of filing comes out to.  Still waiting for the internal wiring loom.  I looked at a Di2 bike that Mike Z. built and he used an exterior reinforcement where the wiring pierces the tubes and I think it looks better than the internal I was going to do. 

I thought I would work in Wills Voodoo brake tab job in to give me an occasional filing break.  Stripping paint is not one of my favorite things to do.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

 We are on a roll now.  Dan came over yesterday with his 80's Bianchi and we finalized his new geometry. It is a pretty much standard and traditional Italian square design, but smaller.  S3 tube set, Di2 group, and some sweet Reynolds wheels.
Here is my frame freshly back from glass bead and ready for prime and a RAL vermilion/topaz paint job.
 Dans lower head tube lug with the STI bosses removed.  I have had the same small occlusion in every lug so far.  No big deal, it will be filled with silver anyhow. 

Saturday, April 9, 2011

We are still short the main tubes and internal wiring loom for Dans new frame, But I'm working what I can.  Look at these new Cadenzia traditional XL lugs from Llewellyn!  They are beautiful with nice long points.  As soon as Dan and I finalize the fine points of the geometry, I will post a dwg.  I'm going out now to cut the STI tabs off of the lower head tube lug.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Just for Jimbo.  I pulled it off the wall and will try to finish it before I start the next frame.  I also put Devos on the back shelf as his Di2 internal wiring loom is on back order.  I faced and chased the bottom bracket and polished the dropouts today and should finish cleaning up the lug shorelines tomorrow.  I finally settled on a cable stop for the rear drailer I can live with and it should be here soon.  I will update on the next frame soon.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Despite the temporary unavailability of the necessary Di2 wiring components, I'm going to go ahead and build Devos frame as far ahead as possible.  This is the new Llewellyn XL bottom bracket that Dazza has come out with to complement his beautiful lug sets.  How ever, I don't care for the soft point on the port, so we'll sharpen it up and cut out the window to Devos liking.  I will perfect the right side of the point and then make a pattern to transfer to the left side.  Don't want a lopsided point.